Most Important Building MaterialsTweet
The materials used for the development of building are often termed because the artifact . citizenry are experimenting with building materials to seek out the optimum combination which can be both cost-effective and useful in solving construction issues. Building materials are often categorized as natural and man-made materials. Natural materials are all the weather which may be procured from nature itself whereas man-made materials are those which are synthetically made to realize the specified property.
NATURAL BUILDING MATERIALS
- MUD AND CLAY
The effectiveness of mud and clay depends on its quality. the utilization of mud and clay have reformed history. The cob/adobe style signifies high presence of clay, whereas a sod building represents low presence of it. The usage of sand and straw mixture to mould as rammed earth are often spotted in historic structures.
Use of clay as a building material:
- Versatile: Even just in case of structural changes and complications with regards to interior designing aspects, the utilization of clay is multi-dimensional.
- Durable: the utilization of mud and clay is extremely durable. Deterioration thanks to environmental factors is low.
- Insulation: Clay has insulation properties. It can absorb high thermal mass, store it then release the warmth consistent with the encompassing .
The tent has been called home by variety of nomadic groups for over tens and thousands of years.
They were mostly referred to as "Conical Tepee" and "Circular Yurt". the rationale why cotton and hemp were extensively used as building materials for construction thanks to its strength. With modern architecture now it's been modified and therefore the fabric structure has been made even more strong and reliable.
How is fabric as a artifact useful:
- it's lightweight and straightforward to install: Its versatile nature is what made it popular among nomads.
- Low maintenance: the value of maintaining fabric is basically low.
Harvested through grass, thatch is one among the oldest materials when it comes building materials. It acts as a superb insulator. Within tribes of Africa, Thatch has been used as a year around roof. Thatch has been successful as a domestic house artifact but not within the industrial application. New Zealand has come up with innovative ways to use that in times .
ADVANTAGES OF USING THATCH AS A BUILDING MATERIAL:
- Water-resistant: it's one among the few water-resistant natural materials.
- Insulator: Thatch can hold air pockets among it, therefore, it can make sure that the building remain warm and funky counting on the season.
Wood or timber may be a fibrous product we get from trees. As a binding material wood has been utilized in the shape of boards, planks and other similar materials. Wood helps in building condition even during severe climatic condition thanks to its eco-friendliness.
Wood provides flexural strength under loads and sturdiness when bended. Wood has diversified properties counting on the variability of climate it's introduced to. Earlier, wood was utilized in sleepers of railways and building supports or braces.
ADVANATGES OF USING WOOD:
- Energy-efficient: Wood, thanks to its insulating property saves energy.
- Highly versatile nature: The mould-able property of wood allows it to be utilized in various ways, effectively.
Ice has been a crucial artifact within the northern colder regions. Ice was employed by Inuits to create their igloos. Now ice is even wont to make ice hotels and other artistic interiors. Ice helps in protecting people living in high winter areas from severe storms.
ADVANTAGES OF USING ICE:
- Insulation: to create storm-resistant house the high insulating property of ice is effective.
- Accelerated construction: Ice houses are often constructed during a short time.
The word Puzzolana come from the name of a town in Italy called "Puzzouli".
The volcanic dust which settles round the town thanks to frequent eruption when mixes with the calcium hydroxide it's found to possess hydraulic properties. From then on, puzzolana has been used as a artifact in construction. Before the introduction of cement, puzzolana was mixed with lime to make concrete. it's now wont to replace a proportion of cement when making concrete.
ADVANTAGES OF USING PUZZOLANA:
- results in better workability of concrete with reduction of segregation and bleeding.
- High resistance to freezing and thawing is provided by concrete made with pozzolana.
- It helps in reducing the leaches of soluble compounds in concrete which helps the concrete be impermeable.
- BRICK AND BLOCK
A brick are often described as a mix of clay-shale heated together during a kiln. to make more sturdy structures clay bricks are used. within the older days' bricks were made from volcanic ash and subtle amounts of lime.
Now, bricks are made through extruding clay machines and are dig shapes. Bricks brought in sturdiness and affordable manufacturing as a artifact after mud.
ADVANTAGES OF USING BRICK AS A BUILDING MATERIAL:
- Weatherproof: the foremost important advantage of using brick is its weatherproof nature.
- Sustainable: Using brick is sustainable to the environment.
Concrete is that the second most consumed material after water. it's the fabric of the longer term . the mixture of cement, sand and aggregate makes concrete. Concrete are often hardened sort of a stone by hydrating it. Customized concrete can now be created with consistent innovations within the industry.
Ready to mix concrete are now adopted on major construction sites to enture high productivity and internal control . Modern age building materials got to possess qualities like simple transport, durability and reinforcement.
ADVANTAGES OF USING CONCRETE AS A BUILDING MATERIAL:
- Versatile application: the straightforward to mould ability makes concrete an honest option.
- Economical: The substantial benefits of using it's been economical.
The reason why metal is employed extensively for building structure is due to its flexible quality and strength providing a structural support for giant building. Effective control of corrosion can easily make metal one among the simplest artifact .
Metal succeeds concrete in terms of lightweight and sturdiness. While building high rise industries the corrosion of metal may be a serious concern. Titanium and aluminum have the property of high lastingness therefore are often used well. Metals like gold and silver have decorative applications.
ADVANTAGES OF USING STEEL AS A METAL:
- Economical construction: Steel are comparatively cheaper and thus cost effective.
- Strength and aesthetic: Metal structures provide strength and have high area ratio to strength.
Glass was invented in 3600B.C. it's an excellent material prepared by heating sand and silicate at heat . Glass has been wont to make see through windows and for other decorative purposes.
With constant innovation glass has been made brittle proof and energy efficient. It are often wont to create space frame.
ADVANTAGES OF USING GLASS AS A BUILDING MATERIAL:
- Weather-resistant: It can benefit us with its environment resistant property.
- Sustainable future material: Glass offers high sunlight friendly houses with its low refractive indexes.
Ceramics are utilized in decorative materials like tiles and fixtures. they're prominently applied as a canopy surely building part or for fixing fixtures. the foremost common ceramic uses are wall paints, counter-tops, ceramic floors and also fall ceilings.
Ceramic also are utilized in variety of nations as a part of flooring to cladding to buildings.
ADVANTAGES OF USING CERAMIC AS A BUILDING MATERIAL:
- Lightweight: Ceramic is light weight and offers high strength to weight ratio.
- Extreme hardness: they're extremely hard for impact.
Paint may be a liquid surface coating which on drying forms a skinny film.
There are variety of various sorts of paints. Of which there are oil paints, water paints, cement paints, bituminous paints and special paints like fireproof paints, luminous paints, chlorinated rubber paints (for protecting objects against acid fumes) these are utilized in building construction which makes paint one among the foremost important material in building construction.
ADVANTAGES OF USING PAINTS:
- It protects the surface from stresses and resists deterioration.
- Provides a smooth and fine finish on the surface.
- Protects the wood work from decay.
- POLYMERIC MATERIALS
Polymeric materials are used for creating rubber, plastics and resins. Polymers are macromolecules with high relative molecular mass . By the method of polymerization reaction small molecules are formed into large molecule.
ADVANTAGES OF USING POLYMERIC MATERIALS:
- Rubber is employed for creating conveyor belts, linings for tanks. it's also wont to make insulating materials.
- Flooring tile are often made by using phenolaldehyde resin with waste rubber.
- For adhesive and protective coatings production chlorinated rubber is employed .
- rubber which is formed from rubber is employed widely to form upholstery and furniture.
Rock is one among the foremost long-lasting material which has helped humans sustain for thousands of years. the various property of rocks has helped it to spread worldwide. due to its high-density rocks offer durability to environmental impacts.
Various sorts of rocks like granite and slate are used previously within the medieval period also as within the primitive civilizations.