The slab is expanded under the entire building or relatively a large part of it which reduces the contact pressure in contrast to the conventionally utilized strip or trench footings.
Occasionally area covered by raft may be more than the contact area based on the bearing capacity of the soil below.Raft foundations alias Mat Foundations belong to a large concrete slab that provides strong support to a number of columns and walls.
Mat/Raft Foundation is suitable under the following conditions :-
- If the soil has low bearing strength
- Walls of the structure are very adjacent so that individual footings would over hanged.
- It is suitable for large loads
- Individual footings would cover in excess of about half of the construction area.
- Benefits of Raft Foundation
- Little excavation is necessary for raft foundation.
- It can make adjustment with mixed or poor ground condition.
- It decreases differential settlement.
The reinforcing bars operate normally to each other in both top and bottom layers of steel reinforcement.
- Quantity Takeoff Software
- PileGroup is an exclusive
- New construction against design
- Tekla formwork placing tools
- Powerful construction program